Monday, July 31, 2017

Sew Enjoyed the Trip!!


Just like a good book that turns out to be one that you can't put it down--so it was with the latest project--  You never know at the beginning--but this one just kept getting better.  Ideas kept popping into my head and it kept evolving into so much more than I had first envisioned.  I introduced you guys to Jenny at Elefantz.  There is a button on the top right side of my blog. I joined her Stitchery Club and received some awesome designs but the project that has given me such pleasure is FREE!  Go to her tutorial and look for a needle book made from a vintage doily.


My doily was too large or at least larger than the one she used, but now that it is finished, I love the size.  I think the most fun I had during this whole project was looking and choosing vintage lace, buttons and trims and also the finding of ways to add my essentials and making each page a surprising adventure.
I chose a proverb that I learned in elementary school for a meaningful slogan as I open my Stitchery
Every morning we would say the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States Flag and each child would have to say some Proverb as we showed that our hands were clean to start the day.  I am sure I learned more from this than I will ever realize.  Others I remember were--A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, Two wrongs don't make a right, The squeaky wheel gets the grease---Waste not, want not, and oh so many more.  I put a pleat in a rectangle of fabric and gathered the top edge for a pocket to hold my thimble.  The red leather pouch holds a tiny scissor.  It is held in place with a ribbon.  these particular scissors I LOVE as that are so tiny, yet the fingers holes are not.  They are sharp and short and perfect for clipping thread ends and tails.
The next "page" is the place for all things sharp and sticky (needles and pins) and threads that will be used for whatever projects you are currently working on.
Each page presents a joyful place for the eye to rest.  The little lady bug button makes me smile.
I chose for the back a signature and the year that the Stitchery Keep was made.  I keep thinking that someday maybe a grandchild or great-grandchild-- (or possibly even more generations will look at this hand made piece and wonder what I was like.  I hope it gives them a clue.
At least it will show them how I signed my name.  Who knows what the future brings but I wonder from time to time what my great great grandparents were like.   Don't you?

Well, my next one is already in my head and heart.  My favorite flower is Sunflower so I have already stitched one of Jenny's designs and picked out some perfect fabrics for it.  What do you think?
My plan is to post all through the project so that you kinda get the feel for the process.  Papa has to get his cancer antibody treatment tomorrow and see his surgeon so I won't get much done.  Have patience!  See ya soon!


2 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I thought about making one of those, as I read Jenny, but, I have too many projects with 'due dates' that I just don't have time. Yours turned out great.

Rhonda said...

Great hand-work Molly. You are a pro!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thanks for stopping by--Please Come Again!

background